Fragment of Building/Structure
Title
Fragment of Building/Structure
Description
A long fragment of pale cream stone, roughly facetted on the top with a flat reverse. On the reverse is written the Queensland Museum number "H2407".
While the two fragments of stone said to be from the Pyramids of Giza and donated by JH Lowe in 1928 are described as alabaster in the Queensland Museum register, as suggested at the time of donation, the stone has not been formally identified. The Pyramids of Giza were primarily constructed from a limestone core and the outer casing of the Pyramids of Khufu and Kahfre were completed in a fine white limestone from Tura. Limestone was the most common soft building stone used in the Old Kingdom. The casing of the Pyramid of Menkaure was partially completed in granite, the most common hard building stone of the First Dynasty. Alabaster (calcite) was not usually used for building stone in Egypt, but was more common for decorative elements such as sarcophagi and shrines.
In a letter dated 2 July 1918, JH Lowe mentions that the Pyramids were originally covered in alabaster, that most has now fallen off, and that he has acquired two small pieces of it. These are the same two pieces now held by the Queensland Museum but it is impossible to prove that they certainly come from the Pyramids. Many Australian soldiers visited, and even climbed, the Pyramids between 1914 and 1919.
While the two fragments of stone said to be from the Pyramids of Giza and donated by JH Lowe in 1928 are described as alabaster in the Queensland Museum register, as suggested at the time of donation, the stone has not been formally identified. The Pyramids of Giza were primarily constructed from a limestone core and the outer casing of the Pyramids of Khufu and Kahfre were completed in a fine white limestone from Tura. Limestone was the most common soft building stone used in the Old Kingdom. The casing of the Pyramid of Menkaure was partially completed in granite, the most common hard building stone of the First Dynasty. Alabaster (calcite) was not usually used for building stone in Egypt, but was more common for decorative elements such as sarcophagi and shrines.
In a letter dated 2 July 1918, JH Lowe mentions that the Pyramids were originally covered in alabaster, that most has now fallen off, and that he has acquired two small pieces of it. These are the same two pieces now held by the Queensland Museum but it is impossible to prove that they certainly come from the Pyramids. Many Australian soldiers visited, and even climbed, the Pyramids between 1914 and 1919.
Date
2589 BC - 2504 BC
Format
Height: 55 mm
Width: 21 mm
Depth: 18 mm
Type
Identifier
C.011.002
QM H2407
Coverage
License
© Queensland Museum, Peter Waddington.
Medium
Accrual Method
Provenance
Collected by Pte. JH Lowe, Giza, Egypt, July 1918.
Donated by Pte. JH Lowe, Wilston, to Queensland Museum, 24-27 April 1928.
Donated by Pte. JH Lowe, Wilston, to Queensland Museum, 24-27 April 1928.
Rights Holder
Queensland Museum, Brisbane
Bibliographic Citation
Arnold, D. (1991). Building in Egypt: pharaonic stone masonry. Oxford University Press.
Isler, M. (2001). Sticks, Stones, and Shadows: Building the Egyptian Pyramids. University of Oklahoma Press.
Queensland Museum Donor Schedule #28/86 (1928).
Queensland Museum Miscellaneous Register, A1101-2.
Lowe Family Archive, Brisbane.
Relation
P.011
Contributor
Mr James Donaldson
Files
Collection
Citation
Fourth Dynasty, Old Kingdom (Egyptian), “Fragment of Building/Structure,” First World War Antiquities, accessed December 17, 2025, https://ww1antiquities.omeka.net/items/show/103.


Comments